Bia, a new GPS sports watch designed for women, by women, has launched on popular crowd funding platform Kickstarter. Developed by Bia Sport, Inc. for the 45 million women classified as avid athletes, the sleek, stylish, and streamlined device combines traditional GPS-enabled training metrics such as distance, pace and duration with cutting edge design, race-day tracking, and safety features. With only masculine design options available in the marketplace, the Bia project on Kickstarter hopes to crowd fund $400,000 to bring the uniquely designed training device to market.
Bia is the brainchild of founders Cheryl Kellond and Sylvia Marino, both accomplished high tech
executives and avid athletes. Frustrated with the size and unnecessary complexity of existing
products, they developed the Bia watch to address the needs of an audience that comprises the
majority of distance runners and is the fastest growing segment in triathlon – women.
Kellond, CEO, said of Bia, “This wasn’t a ‘shrink it and pink it’ approach. While size and style
were critical we also sought to address the specific needs of female athletes including a safety
alert system and effortless transfer of workout and race data to computers and smartphones.
There is an obvious gap in the market and we are filling it.”
- ABI Research forecasts the market for dedicated GPS fitness devices to be 3.1M units in 2012, growing to 7.5M in 2016.
- Women make up 45% of all avid athletes. They comprise more than 60% of halfmarathoners and are the fastest growing segment in both running and triathlon.
- Women purchase only 30% of the GPS fitness devices, citing size and unnecessary complexity as key turnoffs.
- Bia’s unique two-piece design consists of the Bia sports watch and an optional Bia GPS Go Stick.
Lightweight and contoured to hug a woman’s wrist, Bia offers:
- Robust multi-sport: Distance, pace, and duration for swimming, cycling and running; calorie burn; compatibility with heart rate straps; water resistance to 100 meters.
- Ease of use: iPod-like user interface and instant-on GPS connection.
- Unique capabilities requested by women: real-time tracking on race days and emergency
- notification on solo workouts.
- Detailed workout data delivered automatically to online training logs, including a
- supportive training community at http://www.bia-sport.com.
- Edgy colors and interchangeable straps by Betty Designs, the creative force behind the
- sickest race kits in triathlon.
Bia’s efforts on Kickstarter run from June 4 to July 13, 2012. To learn more visit the site about Bia Sport, Inc.
Bia is a lifestyle brand combining style and technology into products for the 100M adults who are
passionate about fitness. Existing sports & fitness solutions are designed for data geeks and the
uber-competitive 1% of athletes. Bia’s platform of online and on-body solutions bridges the gap
and helps the 99% of those who will never see the podium achieve new athletic firsts and fall in
love with healthy habits for lifelong fitness. Bia’s online site for fitness tracking and community
launched in January. Bia’s first wearable self-tracking solution is a style-savvy GPS sports watch
launching on Kickstarter. Co-founders Cheryl Kellond and Sylvia Mario are Silicon Valley
veterans and avid athletes